Friday, February 20, 2015

The Hills Are Alive

With the sound of burping.

Long Skate


MTU trails - Hemlock, Skidder, Nara loops. 11F, light wind, 1" fresh powder over groomed. Cold wax.  The fresh snow gave us medium glide.

Hills.  Lots of hills. there were very few flats.  We either were going up or down.  I burnt a match on one of the longer uphills at Nara to finish without stopping.  After that, I took long uphills in sections.  By the end of Nara, I was done in and had to do the frequent stopping thing again.  

I didn't seem to quite run out of strength or run out of breath.  I just would start to get nauseous.  Perhaps this was my body's reaction to dipping too deep into glycolitic pathways - short term energy stores.  Very likely, considering my weight and lack of conditioning.  

I think another part of it was my nutrition schedule.  We had lunch (chicken salad salad) an hour before and a half dose of 3FU3L only half an hour before skiing.  I was burping occasionally all throughout our ski.  Kirsten, however, had no problems.  She did stop on later hills a lot.  Her hips and legs were getting tired.

What I learned:
  • No or at least very little solid food race day.
  • 3FU3L try at least 1 hour before skiing.  If that doesn't work, then 2 hours.


  • 11.7 km
  • 1:30:02 / km
  • 7:43 / km


Here's the map: 
  


No comments: