Saturday, February 7, 2015

Long Skate...Well, Long-ish

A bit frosted and windblown.

Swedetown: Eds, Cedar and Birch loops. 20F, windy.  Groomed early with 2" of additional powder.  Still the cold mixed with LF mid-temp wax.  Good glide.

Long Skate


We had 3FU3L just before we left.  Before that we had a breakfast.  Kirsten was a bit 'off' and I was burping the whole time.  I think we should have had 3FU3L a bit sooner to let it settle.  Also, no breakfast with greasy fats to digest.  My energy was good, though.

What with the windy conditions, the powder to deal with and Kirsten feeling a little down, we skipped the Tamarack loop.  

We've got three more weekends before the Bear Chase.  The next two weeks we've got to get in longer skis.  2/3 of the course at least.  Next week, Powderhouse and the Bears; the following week, the Bears and Tamarack.  Hoo, boy!

I think that the hills in the last part are the worst, combining steepness with length.  What I've learned is not to work too hard on the first bits so I don't run out of juice on the last hills.  Powderhouse is a warmup, then the Bears are take it easy time.

Also I've learned that stepping through downhill turns to keep my foot speed up, not to get stuck on the outside leg.

The data:
8k
54:26
6:50/km

Here's a map:

No comments: