Sunday, February 8, 2015

Back In The Saddle Again (Briefly)

Doing a ride-by.

Shootim


20F today, and I hoped to ride. It had been an age since I rode, but I was patient.  First, we turned him out while his stall was cleaned.  I didn't hear much carrying on from inside the arena, so I went to see him.  Shootim immediately came up to me, then found a lunge whip to chew on.  I took the hint, got the whip and free-schooled him.  He had a great time with the freedom from the line, showing some spectacular rollbacks.  I stayed pretty low-key, the moves were mostly Shootim's idea.

After that, we decided on driving and then maybe a quick ride. The coat came off and into the cross ties Shootim went. A new device gave Shootim a new outlook on life.  Called a mouth-shutter, it's a cowboy cavesson with stiff rope around the nose.  He didn't open his mouth and grab at all; I actually had no trouble brushing on his face.  Nice.

After driving, I got on, no spurs, just a quick ride, walk and trot only.  He did quite well at maneuvers with no major disagreements.  One turn he had trouble with improved with a second try, so I backed him, stopped and got off.  We quit while we were ahead.  A very good first ride back.  Perhaps I'll be able to ride again next time and start a trend.

No comments: