Saturday, December 20, 2014

Technologically Challenged

I messed up my timer for this shot.  Well worth it.

We worked out on the Swedetown Greenstone loop.  26F, calm.  Nice snow, well groomed, mostly packed.  Mid-temp LF wax.  Pretty good speed.

Drills

  • Weight Shift/Hop
  • Wide Ski Hop
  • Cossack Arms
  • Locked & Loaded

Long Intervals

2 rounds

  • 1k on : 6' off
  • 800m on : 4:50 off
  • 400m on : 2:25 off

The only app I've found that does GPS tracking and interval timing is 'CrewNerd,' formerly 'SpeedCoach.'  I thought that I had it all ready to go with the custom intervals programmed in at home.  The fact that I had the ringer off would give me grief out on the trail, however.

The drills and a little easy skiing brought us to the Start of the Greenstone loop.  Music on, timers started and we went for our first kilometer.  I know the Greenstone loop pretty well.  The map says it's 3k around.  As I skied, I thought 'that's got to be far enough.'  After I was sure I had gone too far, I  took out my phone and looked at the timer.  It looked like it was running, so I kept going.  At the warming shack I stopped and took another long look.  the timer said 1070 meters.  I hadn't heard a stop siren and had kept going another whole kilometer!  I still had a minute or two rest, then the 800 meter piece.   I had to guess when to stop for that and the 400.  Kirsten caught up with me and suggested that I might have the ringer off.  Oops!  Problem solved, we started the second round.  This time the siren sounded and I stopped at the right times.  A pause for pictures robbed me of 2 minutes of rest, but otherwise Everything went well.  I finally caught up on my rest for the last 400.    Even though the GPS was a bit of a cock-up, I got in an excellent workout on some great snow.

[edit]
My data, I almost forgot.
Distance, time, pace/k
1000m    4:27    4:27.2/k
800m      4:01    5:01.2/k
400m      1:54    4:45.4/k
1000m    4:21    4:21.6/k
800m      4:38    5:48.2/k
400m      1:35    3:57.6/k

Kirsten's data:
1000m    4:35    4:34.8/k
800m      3:59    4:59.2/k
400m      1:44    4:19.6/k
1000m    4:16    4:16.0/k
800m      3:41    4:37.2/k
400m      1:51    4:38.6/k

Shootim

Shootim was pretty well behaved on the lunge line, So I drove him with a saddle on, hoping to ride.  Kirsten and Susan were watching as Shootim showed lots of energy at the trot.  At the lope, he was a bit of a 'snorter.'  Kirsten said, "He's really rounded!"  Susan, noticing the hump under the saddle, said, "Yeah, you should definitely ride him."  In the end, discretion was the better part of valor.  Perhaps tomorrow.


Isn't that a beautiful bit of tail?  The HORSE'S!
(Yes, Kirsten, you're lovely too.)

No comments: