Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Very Satisfying Ride

Not a great picture, I know.  Shootim's head buried in his feeder.  This picture is from November 2nd.  Since being worked I think Shootim has lost fat and gained muscle.  I'm next.

We'll try to remember to get some more pictures next weekend.

With a barn visit sandwiched in between church and a concert, I figured I might get to drive my horse.   A good chance of success in a short time.  Shootim's only 'hole' is his habit of getting mouthy with his owner.  Five years with a mini as a pasture mate plus some bad habits that the previous owner found 'cute.'  Jack always calls him 'Guppy.'  Arrrrrgh.  We've all been working to create some space for Shootim to learn to respect.  I've got this kind of chicken wing arm dance that I do.  A way better solution than smacking him every time.  Kudos to Stacey Westfall for the idea.  Stall tying has helped calm him down a good bit as well.  Nonetheless this issue has and must be forefront in my mind every time we work together.

Imagine my surprise then when Shootim behaved like a complete gentleman.  No scalawag tricks, he stood calmly while I got him ready.  In the arena he lunged well, a bit playful, then settling down.  He was so calm that I went and got the saddle and rode!

Kirsten had left out a triangle of cones which we used to work on serpentine turns.  At first, Shootim wouldn't sharpen his turn until I put the spur against him.  After three or four times, though he figured it out and worked off my leg.  What a handy fellow!
Stuff we worked on:

  • Walk/trot/canter
  • Turns on forehand/hindquarters
  • Two tracking along a wall

He doesn't know what every cue is for, but he was trying to figure everything out.  When he was guessing, he ended up backing. A very nice back, too.  I couldn't fault him for trying, so we did something easier, then came back to it.  Violá!  Turns on the forehand both ways.  A good place to stop and the end of a very satisfying ride.

Jack gave me some ideas of collecting Shootim at the canter, holding him more in the manner of a hunt horse.  We'll see next weekend when I'm back.


No comments: