Friday, June 8, 2012

What it probably looked like while I slept in.

I got out about an hour late.  Fortunately for me the water stayed perfect even with the sun up!  I lowered the oarlocks one spacer each.  It seems that the spacers must all be there, or else there is some up and down play with the oarlock.   Different than I remember from the Weeble.  The advantage is complete control over how tight the oarlocks move.

I practiced drills at the dock before heading out and they seemed to help a lot.  First was slo-mo practice.  Move slow up to the catch, focused on the square and drop of oars in the water.  Relax (well, try) at the catch with oars square and in the water. then oars over and move slowly to the release, square, set the oars in the water and relax.  Feather the oars and start again.

10 reps of that, then I practiced river turns. Then 10 more slo-mos and river turns again. Then out I went!  The stroke felt much better, less jittery and more powerful.  I decided on a larger route, across the canal and around the north shore before turning back across and finally heading for home.  Things are just starting to come together.

Areas to focus on:

  • Oars drawn straight across through the water
  • Pulling consistently with legs first, recovering with legs last.
  • Closing the hip, not just bending over.
  • Square, catch and release cleanly.
  • Lastly, carrying more and more oarweight in my hands.  Ultimately recovering with oars off the water.

Here's the data:


Interval Start
7:09 AM
Time
45:44
Distance (m)
3907
Strokes
494
Avg Speed (m/s)
1.44
Avg Pace (/500m)
05:46.900
Avg SR
10.9
Max SR
29.2
(This last one is not correct.  I may have the sensitivity too low.  I did get up to 18 - 19 a couple of times coming back in.)

No comments: