Sunday, July 22, 2012

Trolls, I Tell You, Trolls!

Kirsten is up for the week, hooray!


73F, SSW5.
Thanks to Deb and Dennis for letting Kirsten borrow the single.  After Friday's confidence-boosting row, we took a longer trip this time - all the way under the bridge and back!  I know that's not huge, but it's the farthest I've gone in a racing shell so far.  It was a great to o.k. water.  in the bridge straight an east wind kicked up some chop.  It made for a good test of my technique.  Once back in the bowl, things settled down nicely, finishing with flat water.


My technique was quite variable; moments of smooth motion, long periods of floundering.  The sucky parts weren't as bad and some of the nice bits were really nice.  I even did a few short faster pieces.  Overall, I'm satisfied with my progress so far.  This was a much longer row than before.


Things to work on.  The list is long. First is grip and flat wrists on the recovery.  Then a smooth and well-timed square, catch and drive sequence. After that a release that pops the blades out easily - I felt that the harder pulling to get the oars out of the water was probably stopping the boat. These next things  made eveything else worse when I tried to add them. Chest up, coming fully into the catch, head up at the catch.  I feel like I'm looking at the stern of the boat at the catch.  Maybe that's my head and neck in alignment with my spine.  My thoracic spine is a bit rounded - I'm working on it! Anyway, to do any of these things added tension to my body, which made me unstable in the boat.


Kirsten, of course, looked gorgeous.  She does have about three years on me with racing boats.


Here's the data:




Interval Start
6:46 AM
Time
1:04 AM
Distance (m)
8631
Strokes
1069
Avg Speed (m/s)
2.25
Avg Pace (/500m)
03:42.400
Avg SR
16.7
Max SR
33.3

No comments: