Friday, April 24, 2015

Get Out Of Here And Get Me Some Meters Too

Tuesday

Mom, I did it.

 WOD

5 rounds

  • 3 Muscle-ups
  • 400m Run
  • 15 Box Jumps
  • 25 Double-unders

I did muscle-ups on the rings, scaled with my feet on the ground.  It starts as a ring row, then the transition to over the rings.  The dip was with feet starting on the ground and ending in the air.  Next time I'll make the dips a little harder.

I did the first run, but rowed the other rounds.  The sore heels from last Fall are still with me.  I don't want them turning into planter fascists.  Too much standing in socks and driving put weight on my feet in one spot for long periods of time.

Box jumps were to an 18" box.  Double unders were scaled to 75 singles.  My time was 30:28.  I think I did alright, since the time cap was 35 minutes.

After the WOD, I worked on:

  • hollow rock: 3 x 20 seconds
  • Pull-ups with bands 1 red, 2 blue, 7 green

Wednesday

Warming the bench.

Strength

Bench Press

  • 5-5-5-5-5 @ 75%

Assistance

3 rounds, not for time

  • 10 Dips
  • 10 DB Pullovers
  • 10 Barbell Rows

My bench press was 105#, just about right.  Coach Jared came over and told me not to arch my back. From my own research, I learned to arch while bench pressing.  What we agreed on was that arching was useful for max efforts, but a flat back was better for sub-maximal training and real life.

Dips were with a green band, pullovers were with a 30# dumbbell and barbell rows were with 95#.

Friday

Milestone reached.

Indoor Rowing...outdoors

Today was a bit of a milestone.  5000 meters is the halfway point toward my goal.  In a head race, the first 5km would be the warmup while getting to the start, so I've been going slow and doing drills.  Well, today I caught myself pushing it.  Trying to go faster at a slower rate.  The feeling at the finish gets to feeling like I'm yanking on the handles.  I'd like to mostly keep the pull the same, but increase the rate to go faster.  That way, the transitions feel smoother.  

Starting with 5500 meters, the plan develops.  The first 5km will be the same, paddling with the rate under 20 strokes a minute and a pace of around 2:40.  After that the rate goes up; 22-24 spm for a start.  I'm thinking the pace will be around 2:20/500m.

Pulling too hard.



No comments: