Saturday, May 16, 2015

Shootim Takes A Hint

We were too busy riding to take a picture, so here's Shootim eating after.


Tuesday


WOD:

3 rounds for time of:
  • Run 400m
  • 15 Front squats from floor 95/65#
  • 25 yard (1 length of turf) Overhead walking lunges with medicine ball (20#/14#) held overhead.
CW: 18:40.  I did the women's weights. I ran the first 400 and rowed the other two.


Thursday


Indoor Rower

  • 6000 meter row
Oops, I skipped 5500. Just as well;  It's been a while since last I rowed and the boats are out Saturday.


Saturday


Shootim

I've made a study of the first sequence of under-saddle body control on the DVD from Double Dan. After a quick lunging through the square pen mud puddles, we saddled up an went to the large pen by the road. With reins in hand and a whip, we went through the drills:
  • Head around
  • Circle with head in
  • Shoulder out of circle
  • Shoulder and ribs out of circle
  • Hindquarters disconnected followed by backing. 
Shootim was starting by pushing his shoulder in like last time. This time, however, I was ready. The first time, I got after his shoulder a bit with the whip, but it was a little awkward. The second time I just punched him in the meat of his shoulder. That worked a treat!  His response was just a bit over the top, like, "Okay, okay! I won't. Sheesh!"  After that, he settled right down and gave me honest circles. 

We went right through the sequence on the ground, pretty much like in the movie. Then we went through it all again under saddle just the same. He was an excellent boy!  After, I had him trot some big around the arena to loosen up after his hard work. It was a good day.

No comments: