Sunday, May 20, 2012

The PLRC Rides Again!

Charles, Deb, Sarah and Dennis.


We all got in our first row of the season today.  Yesterday Kamrads brought down my boats.  Thanks, Kamrads!  This morning, they brought their own boats down.


This was my first season in the new boat, the Coach K.  Big thanks to Bob Sharkey for selling it to me!  Before this, I've rowed either in the double or my old wide-body single, the Weeble.  That was a great boat to learn on.  


Things turned out much better than I expected.  At first, I was a frozen nervous in the skinny boat, but I practiced moving the oars around a bit, then on to arms only paddling and once I started using the slide a little bit I was good.


Coming down to the boats this morning, the water was mirror flat.  Of course, by the time I got out  the water roughened up a little, but still pretty nice.  I dragged the oars across the surface for stability, concentrating mainly on form. I kept my stroke rate really slow and pulled with half pressure.


Dennis was out first and took off. I think he nearly made it to the bridge, about 8 - 10k.  Deb and Sarah did a couple of laps around buoy 33.  I did one lap.  My Speedcoach didn't record the run, drat!  I estimate about 2700 meters rowed.  Sarah is picking up right where she left off.  Deb's rowing looked gorgeous, so smooth!


It was a great first day and nobody went swimming!



No comments: